What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone is created by passing medical-grade pure oxygen through a corona discharge generator, creating pure 03 or ozone. Once ozone is created, it can be used in a liquid form (ozonated water) or gas form When ozone gas is filtered through pure olive oil, it forms a thick clear ointment (ozonated olive oil). Ozone therapy can kill bacteria, viruses, fungus and parasites. All without side effects of antibiotic therapy
How is Ozone Therapy used in dentistry?
- Periodontal disease: Ozone can be used to help treat periodontal disease by using ozonated water flushed below the gum line and/or ozone gas infiltrated into the gum tissue and supporting tissues
- Root canals: Ozone is used in all forms during root canal treatment to kill bacteria, sterilize the canal system and to stimulate faster healing. As a gas, ozone can get to places traditional liquids can’t because the gas can permeate the tiny tubules that cannot otherwise be accessed, thereby getting a truly sterile, bacteria-free root canal system before sealing the canals.
- Decay: Ozone can be used to kill decay-causing bacteria. Since ozone is a gas, it can permeate into areas below the gum line, into the grooves of teeth and over the smooth surfaces of the teeth and will kill bacteria on contact. Because ozone acts to recalcify tooth structure, areas of the tooth that have been treated with ozone are stronger than what was there before.
- Sensitivity: Because ozone can harden compromised tooth structure, flooding a sensitive area or tooth with ozone gas can effectively eliminate sensitivity We have successfully addressed many patients’ sensitivity issues with ozone therapy.
- Safety: Ozone does not have any contraindications with other medications, therefore crossreactions are not a concern at all. You cannot be allergic to ozone, because you cannot be allergic to oxyoen
For questions or to schedule an appointment, please call Saigh Family Dental at 906-265- 0050